Reply to Thread

Thread: Common Spelling/Grammatical errors

Monde
    Staging

Common Spelling/Grammatical errors

Please proofread.

For example:
    Easter: The Damaged Backpack adventure

As you return to your island the Easter bunny's brother awaits you already with hanging ears. He tells you that he hided Easter eggs and recognized too late, that he had a whole in his backpack. You decide to help him to get his backpack repaired.

Should read:

As you return to your island the Easter Bunny's brother awaits you with hanging ears. He tells you that he hid Easter eggs and realized too late, that he had a hole in his backpack. You decide to help him get his backpack repaired.

-

Monde
    Staging
    Beer quest, at the beginning :

"A farm always needs at least one whea tfield [...]"

Monde
    Prestaging
    yup, and a lot of times there is mention of "Eastern" rather than just Easter.

Monde
    Staging
    "Desert" is spelled with only ONE "s" - 2 "s" = something sweet at the end of the meal, ie. "I would like some pie for deSSert, after dinner."

Monde
    Prestaging
    Most of the egg quest descriptions need proof-reading by an English native speaker - they all read as if they've been translated by either a program or someone who isn't a native English speaker. They don't necessarily contain spelling mistakes, just the wrong words used in places and the flow is wrong. And has already been pointed out, Easter has been written as Eastern in a lot of places.

Calling the quests "paper chases" is a bit strange too - again, I don't know if this is a translation issue. In England (and the USA) they're called "Easter egg hunts".

Monde
    Prestaging
    my main suggestions:
    don´t believe everything that LEO says, many germans multiply their errors by feeding LEO
    best have a native speaker advise you, many things sound very "germish" - it is charming when Eccy makes dutch mistakes in the chat, but it is not professional to market a game with mistakes

I´m a german myself, so no guarantees regarding the following suggestions - again: check with a native speaker...:

- Trader menu, wholesale, marble: "I were a blockhead" hurts my eyes - shouldn´t it be "I was a blockhead" ?
    - bowman -> archer
    - militia is a group, the singular is militiaman - but I´m not familiar with these (military) terms, best have a native speaker advise you...also on terms as "stone thrower" etc....
    - military -> army (military is the category, as in "military, public health, economics")
    - mayor´s house -> town hall
    - "holzfäller" -> lumberjack, logger (you must decide whether it should be british or US)
    - tool maker -> toolsmith
    - carriage -> cart
    - why use hardwood for "laubholz", but not softwood for "nadelholz"? I never heard of firwood, pinewood sounds more familiar....the technical terms are coniferous/decidous wood
    - adventure "the nords" -> the norse
    - in the "kampfsimulator, english version: the adventure is, correctly, called roaring bull, the unt, however is called uproarious bull...
    - deckscrubber : please no "wörtliche Übersetzung", find a similar, idiomatic term, seaman probably (- you wouldn´t translate "landratte" as "landrat"- or would you??)
    - these pages might be useful : militaryfactory.com/ranks/ or en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_rank

to be continued....

Monde
    Prestaging
    Have the texts checked, keep to one tense (present or past, at the moment it is a mixture):

this should probably read something like
    " A lazy settler that is fed up with replanting / sowing his fields has a brilliant idea. He builds a granary/grain storehouse and uses the collected wheat to replenish his fields - why didn´t anybody think of this before? "

(never mind the logic behind ths concept..)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	silo.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	103  

Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Truvily View Post
    "Desert" is spelled with only ONE "s" - 2 "s" = something sweet at the end of the meal, ie. "I would like some pie for deSSert, after dinner."
    http://http://forum.tsotesting.com/t...-the-desert...

Monde
    Prestaging
    hello, bb_team, I would like to point out two things that may be improved:
    a) on the loading screen for the Easter Event the language used is still German, it does not read, as may be expected in the international version "The Settlers online", but still "Die Siedler online"
    b) when entering a guild page, in the member section you translate the German "Mitglied ausschließen" with "kick user". This may be misunderstood, as to kick also means "treten". My suggestion is to use "exclude guild member".
    Kind regards,
    Morgaine

ps.
    I fully agree with Lycosia and Miss_Marble, it would be best to have the wordings proofread by a native speaker.
    Last edited by Morgaine; 28.02.12 at 22:19.

Reply to Thread