Reply to Thread

Thread: Automatic food buffs w/caveat

Monde
    Staging

Automatic food buffs w/caveat

I really think there should be some way to provide food automatically to settlers doing certain jobs. Like, I can allow my fishermen to get fish plates automatically. There could be the added caveat that if this kind of thing is set up and a settler goes to get food, but finds nothing he will wait a few minutes and then start to protest. His protesting will then lower the production of buildings surrounding his building.

Monde
    Prestaging
    the other caveat would be that the buffs would only provide the listed time as a buff rather than the 150% time that a buff from someone else would give. I like the idea... but there should be a limit to it... say X number of buffs that can go to a building, or as you said, a negative effect if the buffs aren't available. There should also be a limit to the number of these buffs that can be stored (if this was implemented) say, in the storage house or at the mayor's house as if the food or buff was a normal resource.

Monde
    Prestaging
    A little different way is discussed since months in the german forums.

Its called "Only produce while buffed" So you have between play and pause button a third. And the production sleeps / unsleeps with begin / end of a buff.

Monde
    Prestaging
    that would be a nice toggle as well. it would make gold production profitable for people who don't have buff partners, or for people who have lives who can't be on once every 6 or 9 hours to buff stuff.

Monde
    Prestaging
    I like the idea of carrot and stick whereas the German one would only be beneficial. Especially nice for players who can't play every 6/9 hours but manage to keep the provisions house busy

Monde
    Staging
    I'm glad to see that this kind of thing is getting discussed.

I'm not surprised that it has been discussed in the German forums as it's a similar concept to what was in one of the Die Siedler games (miners had to have food otherwise they would not mine). I kind of took the idea from that version of the game, but melded it with what would happen in that same version if you did not have enough housing.

I do think that the "German" version of this idea is just too beneficial. I think there really has to be pros and cons to using things otherwise it will seem too much like a Facebook game. Going from what members of the English speaking version of this game are thinking, that also appear to be paying members, we want to stay way from making suggestions that seem Facebook-game-like.

Additionally, housing strikes would be an interesting concept to explore in another thread.

Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Johann View Post
    I do think that the "German" version of this idea is just too beneficial. I think there really has to be pros and cons to using things otherwise it will seem too much like a Facebook game.
    What do you exactly mean with '"German" version is too beneficial'? As i understand you want the Settler 1-5 version of "buffing" (gold mines need sausage, coal mines need fish etc.).
    Or do you want a chack mark that the building can buff himself automatically as long as this buff is available in star menue?

But it can simply be that i don´t understand your text exactly due to my poor english >.-

Monde
    Staging
    Quote Originally Posted by Chimere79 View Post
    What do you exactly mean with '"German" version is too beneficial'? As i understand you want the Settler 1-5 version of "buffing" (gold mines need sausage, coal mines need fish etc.).
    Or do you want a chack mark that the building can buff himself automatically as long as this buff is available in star menue?

But it can simply be that i don´t understand your text exactly due to my poor english >.-
    I was saying "German" as in the view that you posted above that was suggested in the German forums. I think the view point that you posted only allows for benefits. That is to say, if you have food then a certain building is allowed to buff unless you have no food in which case nothing will buff. I think there needs to be the possibility for something to happen if you do not have food instead of just putting the house on pause. This would increase game dynamics.

Don't worry about your English. We should be able to discuss things in forums so that everyone understands.

Monde
    Prestaging
    Mmm i understand your point that our option would be only beneficial. But its an option for very very few buildings which only work buffed with profit. Coin production for example which is only profitable after months of server existance (without gems to fill the mines). Or Luxury weapons.

"our" option is something for critical products such as expert weapons. if you cannot come online for one day for which reason ever you make massiv losses. for most productions buffs aren´t that critical so you make more loss if the facility is on pause half the day then it would work unbuffed .>

Monde
    Prestaging
    You would just have to have 4 baskets and the game would automatically assign them to the selected building. If and only if you run out, you would see Sims err Settlers on strike

(Although: I now remember, this was basically implemented in the mobile phone version of The Settlers. No food -> no production, but Sim City 2000 was probably earlier )

Reply to Thread