Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Damage calculation changed overnight?

Monde
    Prestaging

Damage calculation changed overnight?

Hi,

I'm currently working on a formula for a simulator, especially double-checking if we implemented the newly introduced Hurricane buff correctly. Therefore, I played an "Unknown Regions" adventure and "The people of the mountain" yesterday, to get an active Hurricane buff in combination with specialized weapons and slippery ice. I wrote down all the important minimum and maximum damage numbers from the different units and startet my calculations.

Today, I finally worked out a formula that fits all the numbers I wrote down and I wanted to start some investigations regarding battle fenzy. But first thing I noticed, the minimum and maximum damage values from almost all units differed from what I wrote down yesterday. Here is a screenshot from my sheet with the numbers: (I did not restart the adventure, to get the full numbers of every configuration. I just wrote down the 'new' numbers for the configuration with active hurricane and specialized weapons).

I did check the forum and homepage for news about an update, but I could not find anything. So, I'm currently unsure what happened here. Maybe I was already half asleep and wrote down the wrong numbers, or there is a bug in displaying the numbers, or the damage calculations have been changed.

Does someone else notice this or has any informtion about it?

Monde
    Prestaging
    Hmm... looked weird so I went to try since I haven't checked MCC for a while, last time it was when weathers were added. I only checked an easy an case, MS and it shows the damage of 25-51 with slippery ice and hurricane: http://prntscr.com/n0zbbd

This does not match any of your recorded values but does not match my current sim values either

Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Halloween - Dev diary
    The way we described in the past how different damage modifiers are applied is different than it actually works in the game for this general. To avoid changing the current mechanic and therefore potentially rendering tactical maps, battle calculators etc. wrong under most circumstances, we decided to leave the mechanic untouched and instead explain how it actually works.

In the past, we said that all absolute bonuses are applied before the relative ones. Then the relative bonuses are summed and applied at once instead of one after another. This order is changed. First, the relative bonuses are applied to the base value, and then the absolute bonuses are applied. This leads to a small difference if both absolute and relative modifiers are active. As an example with a 120 damage unit, an absolute +10 damage bonus and two separate 10% damage modifiers:

How it was described:
    (120 + 10) * (1 + 0.1 + 0.1) = 156
    How it works now:
    120 + 10 + (120 * (0.1 + 0.1)) = 154
    Is still valid?

Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannerheim View Post
    Is still valid?
    Maybe not completely. Slippery ice, Specialized Weapons, and Battle Frenzy are handled differently. Once the absolute and relative damages are added, Slippery ice is multiplied. Afterwards, Specialized Weapons is added, unaffected by Slippery Ice and finally Battle Frenzy is multiplied.

Following the example above:
    120 + 10 + (120 * (0.1 + 0.1)) = (154 * 0.85 + 120 * 0.05 ) * Battle Frenzy = 136 in the first round, so without Battly Frenzy.

Anyway, I got some news about the damage numbers.

This is what I reported yesterday. Today, I restartet the adventure, because these damage numbers were driving me mad.

So, I guess there must be some kind of bug in this adventure....

Monde
    Prestaging
    Ah, didn't need to wait until tomorrow... I just left the test server tab in my browser in the background for an hour and a half. Just wanted to have a quick look again in the adventure before goind to bed. Et voila, it's 155 max damage again for the Mounted Marksman now...

I now started an attack to see if its maybe only a display error.
    I found an camp with 125 Frost Ibex and startet an attack with Boris and 42 Mounted Marksman. Since Boris is skilled with Master Planner, the Marksman should always do maximum damage.

42 * 152 + 840 = 7224 --> This should kill 28 Ibex
    42 * 152 + 1250 = 7224 --> This should kill 30 Ibex

42 * 155 + 840 = 7350 --> This should kill 29 Ibex
    42 * 155 + 1250 = 7550--> This should kill 31 Ibex

We killed 31 Frost Ibex. So, the Marksman are really doing 155 damage. I start a new adventure tomorrow and repeat this attack with 152 display damage, to see if the 152 damage may be a display bug.

Monde
    Prestaging
    Here we are again. Okay, I repeated the experiment today and I can say, the damage really changes!

I did change the attack a little, so Boris is now attacking a different enemy unit that the Mounted Marksman.

42 * 152 = 6384 --> This should kill 25 Ibex
    42 * 155 = 6510 --> This should kill 26 Ibex

As we can see, 25 Ibex have been killed by the Marksman. By the way, although I'm only reporting about Boris, this change in the damage values apply to all generals.

The only difference I can spot here, is the order of the damage modifiers in the mouse over.

That order seems to change, once I logout, wait for a short while and relog into the game. As one player on the live server pointed out to me, if we apply the damage modifiers in exactly that order they are shown

(100 + 50 + 3) = 153, the base damage of the Mounted Marksman with Boris.

First case: Hurricane, Slippery Ice, Specialized Weapons
    ( 153 + 20 ) * 0.85 + 5 = 152

Second case: Slippery Ice, Specialized Weapons, Hurricane
    153 * 0.85 + 5 + 20 = 155

Maybe this topic need to be move to the Bugs section?

Blue Byte Gamedesign Team BB_Alex's Avatar
    Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Graf_Euler View Post
    Here we are again. Okay, I repeated the experiment today and I can say, the damage really changes!

I did change the attack a little, so Boris is now attacking a different enemy unit that the Mounted Marksman.

42 * 152 = 6384 --> This should kill 25 Ibex
    42 * 155 = 6510 --> This should kill 26 Ibex

As we can see, 25 Ibex have been killed by the Marksman. By the way, although I'm only reporting about Boris, this change in the damage values apply to all generals.

The only difference I can spot here, is the order of the damage modifiers in the mouse over.

That order seems to change, once I logout, wait for a short while and relog into the game. As one player on the live server pointed out to me, if we apply the damage modifiers in exactly that order they are shown

(100 + 50 + 3) = 153, the base damage of the Mounted Marksman with Boris.

First case: Hurricane, Slippery Ice, Specialized Weapons
    ( 153 + 20 ) * 0.85 + 5 = 152

Second case: Slippery Ice, Specialized Weapons, Hurricane
    153 * 0.85 + 5 + 20 = 155

Maybe this topic need to be move to the Bugs section?
    Thank you for this information. I forward it to our QA to see if we can find out what is happening there.

Monde
    Prestaging
    Yeah the buff order and values change. I went to check my adv that I left open over night and Knight damage went from 35-71 to 36-73.

Blue Byte Gamedesign Team BB_Alex's Avatar
    Monde
    Prestaging
    One question, do you experience the issue only on the test server, or did you experience it on the live server, too?

Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Alex View Post
    One question, do you experience the issue only on the test server, or did you experience it on the live server, too?
    Only tried it here at test as it would be too expensive and risky at live server.

Reply to Thread