Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: ★ Slow loading on live (and test) server(s)

Monde
    Prestaging

★ Slow loading on live (and test) server(s)

During the event, there were many messages in the chat that some players could not enter the game or the game was loading too long (10-30 or more minutes).

I play on the RU server, but judging by the DE forum, many have the exact same problem:
    https://forum.diesiedleronline.de/th...leme-ohne-Ende

Actually, the problem appeared a year ago (around an anniversary or a football event) when, for some unknown reason (BB or Akamai) file caching was turned off (the game was loading in less than a minute before). It is also possible that there are any internal browsers restrictions for the size of the file being cached.

The problem has escalated now (due to an event, CDN overload or something else) and the number of complaints has greatly increased.

All uncached files are located in the directory ubistatic-a.akamaihd.net/0018/live/GFX_HASHED/amfpacker/

Headers:

Large files are marked by CDN as expired, although they have not changed.

Real disk cache:

I usually have no problems with loading, usually the game loads 1-3 minutes, but it can increase to 10 minutes.

European speedtest servers says I have 20+ Mbps.
    When I try to download one of the large files via download manadger, the speed is 4.5Mb/s (15s to download 55Mb file), so my ISP is ok.

However, the game downloads this file much longer (about 2 minutes in dev tools), maybe 2 minutes is not bad, but not too fast either compared to 15s in download manadger or 1-2s for cache.

Also more than 150-200Mb (dev tools: 25Mb + 55Mb + 53Mb + 39Mb + 40Mb) each time after reload this is an excessive amount for a browser game.

Even if caching was turned off specifically because of the broken files for some some players, then perhaps a good solution would be to bring it back, because now the problem has affected a much larger number of players.
    Last edited by Tempdirz; 25.04.19 at 14:26.

Monde
    Prestaging
    On RU forum we found several workarounds by changing the caching settings
    https://forum.thesettlersonline.ru/t...l=1#post302248
    https://forum.thesettlersonline.ru/t...l=1#post302271
    https://forum.thesettlersonline.ru/t...l=1#post302279

For Firefox, this includes enabling aggressive caching and changing the size settings of item/entire cache.
    browser.cache.check_doc_frequency
    browser.cache.disk.max_entry_size
    browser.cache.disk.capacity

For Chrome, this is a cache size change (maybe it also changes the entry size).
    --disk-cache-size = 1500000000

The problem is that the size of some "bin" files is larger than default values.
    for Firefox is 51200kb, for Chrome I could not find the documentation with the default value, but it is approximately 25Mb.
    Therefore, these files will never be cached without additional settings and downloading them each time will slow down the loading of the game.

It is impossible to change these settings for browsers of all players, so this is a BB-related question.
    Last edited by Tempdirz; 26.04.19 at 16:07.

Monde
    Prestaging
    In addition to the problem of large files that do not fit in the cache by default values, I recently got one interesting bug.
    This looks like a CDN problem and is not related to BB or ISP (at least I cannot explain this).

CDN returned the file with the body 1.7KB and code 200 (OK).
    CDN thinks that everything is fine and there are no errors, but 1.7kb does not match its own response header "content length" = 55689580

Headers:

The game is of course stuck at loading as a result.

BB_Ondgrund
    We are already looking into these loading issues. Thank you for these reports, detailed data like this can be very useful for us when investigating issues like this.

Monde
    Prestaging
    It's pretty messed up. Here is my (total ~45 minutes) login after yesterdays hotfix:

Last edited by Mannerheim; 04.05.19 at 19:55.

Helmchen_

Time for Login

As on the live servers, it takes very long to access the game. The loading bar remains in this position, often for +5 minutes:

Sometimes, as now, the site has to be refreshed (after +10 min.) in order to continue and finish the loading process properly.
    Last edited by Helmchen_; 16.05.19 at 12:05.

Monde
    Prestaging
    just configure cache in Your browser:
    youtube.com/watch?v=AnnW-LAMHSk
    Last edited by chriso; 16.05.19 at 19:00.

Monde
    Prestaging
    My cache is configured for 1 GB and the game still hangs up at the same spot, both live and test.

(added later, copied from my live forum post)

When my wife told me about this I'm sure I was looking at her like she had 2 heads, but it works 98% of the time.

When your load screen hangs at the spot it always hangs at, note the time on your computer clock. When exactly 4 minutes has elapsed (not 3, not 5... 4) refresh. The game loads within 4 minutes after that in most cases. Once in a while it still takes longer, but I just refresh after another 4 minutes if it's necessary.

I don't know why this works, but it does. I used this trick every day of the Easter event and got in within 8 minutes. It works on live server and also on test. Did it successfully here earlier today and got on in 7 minutes.

I do hope this issue gets resolved soon. It shouldn't take 7 or 8 or 10 or 15 minutes to get logged in. Or never getting logged in at all for some people.
    Last edited by Perwyn; 16.05.19 at 23:24.

BB_Ondgrund
    Moderation notice
    Threads merged

Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Perwyn View Post
    My cache is configured for 1 GB and the game still hangs up at the same spot, both live and test.

(added later, copied from my live forum post)

When my wife told me about this I'm sure I was looking at her like she had 2 heads, but it works 98% of the time.

When your load screen hangs at the spot it always hangs at, note the time on your computer clock. When exactly 4 minutes has elapsed (not 3, not 5... 4) refresh. The game loads within 4 minutes after that in most cases. Once in a while it still takes longer, but I just refresh after another 4 minutes if it's necessary.

I don't know why this works, but it does. I used this trick every day of the Easter event and got in within 8 minutes. It works on live server and also on test. Did it successfully here earlier today and got on in 7 minutes.

I do hope this issue gets resolved soon. It shouldn't take 7 or 8 or 10 or 15 minutes to get logged in. Or never getting logged in at all for some people.
    Different timing for different connections - for me it is relog after about 50 seconds - total load time then about 2 minutes

Reply to Thread