Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Regarding the old client still functioning

Monde
    Prestaging
    The use of any unofficial client is against our rules. Just because it is technically possible to make something run does not mean it does not cause any harm or is allowed.

Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannerheim View Post
    It might be something they cant talk or even hint about due contractual, PR or legal issues. Like if its too expensive its business related or if its Samsung/Harman licensing related (limitations, requirements, etc.) its NDA stuff. There is also Ubisoft in the mix. No one wants to risk anything so they just say it's impossible.

After all these months with all kinds of issues Im wondering why isn't BB doing a temporary or permanent Windows/Mac builds with Unity which would solve most of the threading/network/memory related issues. It might be just they don't know Unity at all and just use limited build pipeline/set of things that were shown/made to them by the hired company that already abandoned the ship with a success story.
    I have looked at the pricing for both Unity and Harman AIR and it looks like unity is only cheaper with a small team of developers and revenue between $100k and $200k, but even then it's only a few thousand a year saving. I did notice in the Harman AIR pricing that the splash screen is only there for unlicensed versions so I presume Bluebyte were not paying Harman anything despite using it commercially. Maybe they took issue with paying a license to develop something where they previously did not have to and decided to move elsewhere.

Given how the unity development is turning out, maybe they should just swallow their pride and pay the license fee to keep using the Harman AIR client instead. It supports macs now too.

I understand nothing about the potential contractual, PR or legal side of things so maybe this is an over simplified way to look at things.

To BB_Ondgrund, the client comes from the official servers, if it had the potential to cause harm then maybe it should have never been released in the first place? (It has certainly caused harm to my wallet over the years).

Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Mannerheim View Post
    I just hope they wont stop updating it since it will probably be the day I will quit the game. I can't play with the WebGL version on my island as the game freezes every 30-60 seconds and it just rollbacks commands and disconnects chats so often.
    This is exactly how I feel, I didn't use the old client at all, trying to be a good compliant citizen but that the start of the last event I was tempted to try it. It's like two different games, TSO is fun again (8-9 year long user btw). BB_Traffer has said on a few occasions there will be no witchhunt against client users but they could cut off at any point.

Regardless of the mechanical issues introduced with Unity and subsequent fixes that broke more than they fixed, the look and feel is just not right. Graphics are clunky, jaggies on animations, inconsistent fonts making things difficult to view, general lack of smoothness etc etc. Reminds of the episode of The Simpsons when Homer makes his first web page. It's like a poor beta/alpha and we're all testers, not players or customers.

I love this game, I've spent thousands of hours on it, money too, made online friends, but the unity switch, how it's been handled (and communicated) is killing it. I truly fear there's not long left, either for me, or the game.

Monde
    Prestaging
    If you don't want that we use something working .... then just give us your allowed working version !
    I've been playing this game for 9 years, I like it but I won't play with Unity, too horrible.
    So many players have left already .....

Reply to Thread