Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14

Thread: Regarding the old client still functioning

  1. #1

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    Monde
    Prestaging

    Regarding the old client still functioning

    Hi, many people are successfully using the old adobe air client to play this game despite being told it would no longer work. This brings up a few things which don't seem to be being considered by the developers.

    1) If the old client only needs a version number change to work with the current servers despite there being a couple of updates, why is it not being supported alongside unity so players can choose which client to use? It doesn't look like the old client needs any development time considering new features that would break it would also be daft as new additions to unity while that client is unusable. New buildings/generals/specialists along with their graphics seem to work on the old client without having to be programmed into the client itself since they are just copy+pastes of stuff already in the game with some numbers adjusted.

    2) The old client is useful for testing which problems with the unity client are due to the unity client itself or the servers. An example would be the area buffs which were recently broken in the Halloween update. These actually functioned perfectly fine in the adobe air client so it was an error in the unity client which was stopping them working, but a server side fix was done which ended up breaking their use in both clients.

    3) Given the adobe air client still functions normally, why are any server hotfixes being done to support the unity client? Surely all the current problems are down to the unity client itself and the servers should not be touched. The zone refreshes work fine in the adobe air client, but the unity client is unable to deal with them currently. Trying to fix the zone refresh issue on the servers would be the wrong way to go if you could test using the old client and see them working normally there.


    I understand BB wants to move away from flash and towards unity, but forcing all players onto a broken unplayable client and lying about the previous client being usable seems like a bad move. The community managers have been unable to offer any useful information about what is actually happening or the reasoning for why things are being done this way.

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    43
    Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Katty View Post
    Hi, many people are successfully using the old adobe air client to play this game despite being told it would no longer work. This brings up a few things which don't seem to be being considered by the developers.

    1) If the old client only needs a version number change to work with the current servers despite there being a couple of updates, why is it not being supported alongside unity so players can choose which client to use? It doesn't look like the old client needs any development time considering new features that would break it would also be daft as new additions to unity while that client is unusable. New buildings/generals/specialists along with their graphics seem to work on the old client without having to be programmed into the client itself since they are just copy+pastes of stuff already in the game with some numbers adjusted.

    2) The old client is useful for testing which problems with the unity client are due to the unity client itself or the servers. An example would be the area buffs which were recently broken in the Halloween update. These actually functioned perfectly fine in the adobe air client so it was an error in the unity client which was stopping them working, but a server side fix was done which ended up breaking their use in both clients.

    3) Given the adobe air client still functions normally, why are any server hotfixes being done to support the unity client? Surely all the current problems are down to the unity client itself and the servers should not be touched. The zone refreshes work fine in the adobe air client, but the unity client is unable to deal with them currently. Trying to fix the zone refresh issue on the servers would be the wrong way to go if you could test using the old client and see them working normally there.


    I understand BB wants to move away from flash and towards unity, but forcing all players onto a broken unplayable client and lying about the previous client being usable seems like a bad move. The community managers have been unable to offer any useful information about what is actually happening or the reasoning for why things are being done this way.
    the old client isn't supported by BB - the fact that it is working is due to a third party not BB. It is use at your own risk because that third party can be putting who knows what scripts in there.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    Monde
    Prestaging
    Instructions have been provided for comparing the changes between the official and unofficial clients, so go away with the fear mongering.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    43
    Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Katty View Post
    Instructions have been provided for comparing the changes between the official and unofficial clients, so go away with the fear mongering.
    really where - you mean yours? I see no purpose to comparing the old client version which is not supported and can result in a ban with unity which is what BB is fixing. There is no meaning to comparing these two clients. All that matters is something isn't working in unity.

    These actually functioned perfectly fine in the adobe air client so it was an error in the unity client which was stopping them working, but a server side fix was done which ended up breaking their use in both clients.
    bb is only touching unity - if the old client changed it was because the third party maintaining the old client, picked up fixes done on unity and transferred them over.

    BB_Trafffer BB_Trafffer is offline
    Community Manager
    BB_Trafffer's AvatarJoin Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    373
    World
    Zeus
    Hello!

    I decided to keep the first posts and delete everything else because it had gone too far.

    Let's make it clear again, as I said before in the forum: using the client is against our rules and you run the risk of being permanently banned for using it. If you decide to use it, you do so at your own risk.

    We do not control third-party websites and their content, so if you want official information please visit our forum, website, social channels, in-game chat, or simply reach me directly.

    We are constantly working on the game and in the background to get the game back on track as quickly as possible.
    Last edited by donan; 27.11.21 at 14:32.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    Monde
    Prestaging
    I am a EU player, I presume you are a US player?

    The information provided to you seems to be different, BB_Trafffer (community manager for all English versions regardless of region?) has mentioned server upgrades several times to EU players and the corresponding upgrades fixed nothing and instead introduced more bugs that were not occurring before the server upgrades (zone crashes lasting days, buffs not being applied, timers being messed up, pfb being lost when stacked).

    There has been no mention on the EU forums of players potentially getting permanent bans from using the client, but we have been told that the client is in no way supported by Bluebyte and we are on our own using it. If they did ban all EU players who are using the modified client then they would be banning most of the leftover EU player base at this point.

    The player who provided information about using the old client also provided information on how to make sure the modified client is safe to use:

    Information on EU forums on how to compare clients.

    This involves downloading files from the official server to compare to so there is no way to say these files might be hiding something.

    When I checked this on the 28th October, the line in question here to make the old client work on the servers is to change

    public static const VERSION_NR:String = "9361-Release_lugia_air";

    to

    public static const VERSION_NR:String = "9501-Release_pichu";

    Thats a single line of code with a version number stored in a string.

    bb is only touching unity - if the old client changed it was because the third party maintaining the old client, picked up fixes done on unity and transferred them over.
    This line shows you have no clue what you are talking about, the modified client is virtually identical to the client that was in use before unity was launched, no new features have been added to the game since unity was released have needed any additional functionality adding to the old client other than a version number bump.

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Posts
    43
    Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Katty View Post
    I am a EU player, I presume you are a US player?

    The information provided to you seems to be different, BB_Trafffer (community manager for all English versions regardless of region?) has mentioned server upgrades several times to EU players and the corresponding upgrades fixed nothing and instead introduced more bugs that were not occurring before the server upgrades (zone crashes lasting days, buffs not being applied, timers being messed up, pfb being lost when stacked).

    There has been no mention on the EU forums of players potentially getting permanent bans from using the client, but we have been told that the client is in no way supported by Bluebyte and we are on our own using it. If they did ban all EU players who are using the modified client then they would be banning most of the leftover EU player base at this point.

    The player who provided information about using the old client also provided information on how to make sure the modified client is safe to use:

    Information on EU forums on how to compare clients.

    This involves downloading files from the official server to compare to so there is no way to say these files might be hiding something.

    When I checked this on the 28th October, the line in question here to make the old client work on the servers is to change

    public static const VERSION_NR:String = "9361-Release_lugia_air";

    to

    public static const VERSION_NR:String = "9501-Release_pichu";

    Thats a single line of code with a version number stored in a string.


    This line shows you have no clue what you are talking about, the modified client is virtually identical to the client that was in use before unity was launched, no new features have been added to the game since unity was released have needed any additional functionality adding to the old client other than a version number bump.
    well I explained to you the situation, if you don't want to believe it up to you. BB isn't touching the old client, it wouldn't work at all right now if not for a third party updating it regularly to pick up the event changes and whatnot.

    there is no point in comparing versions - just because some person other than BB providing instructions doesn't mean it is acceptable to use.

    what you are referring to as server upgrades are software upgrades to the game itself not to the servers.

    In any case, go ahead believe they are involved in some sort of conspiracy and lying to you so you go and break the ToS and use the old client - it doesn't make it true though.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    Monde
    Prestaging
    The old client updates are getting provided within minutes of the new versions getting released. Do you really think a third party with no access to the games source code is managing to program 1-2 months of Bluebyte work in those minutes? They must be some world class programmer...

    There is no conspiracy, we were told the unity launch was a one way process and the old client would no longer be functional and it would be impossible to get it working with the servers, this has been proven to not be the case.

    The unity client is terrible to play on, you can see from my join date that I have been playing this game for a long time and the unity client is by far worse than the original flash client was when I first started playing. They should not be accepting payments for the state it is in and the game should be moved back into some kind of pre-alpha state if the unity client is going to be forced as the only way to play the game.
    Last edited by Katty; 29.11.21 at 02:21.

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    753
    Monde
    Prestaging
    I can confirm that the original .swf file has been updated and maintained by BB up to this date on every live server release they have done. Community made (SirriS_RU) changes that alter the original are being made are mainly url/redirecting related and not been malicious so far trusted sources. There are several things that prove this on server side and in the file contents as in scripts and binary files that BB is behind it, some mentioned above. I've used some of these things for a long time to provide accurate values in my sim and other tools.

    Their build pipeline probably automatically creates and deploys it automatically with the WebGL with them using it for reference testing or other purposes. The reason we are not "allowed" to use it officially is probably related to licensing or other contract/legal issue. Extended licenses ususally cost a ton monthly/quartely/annually on any product or versions that have gone past their EOL or official support period. Maybe this is also the reason why they rushed the new version for us on a semi fixed schedule regardless how terrible it was.

    I just hope they wont stop updating it since it will probably be the day I will quit the game. I can't play with the WebGL version on my island as the game freezes every 30-60 seconds and it just rollbacks commands and disconnects chats so often. Test server works a bit better and the other accounts I have on various regions. The updated file has also been my one-click-update to get latest gfx/stats to sim and tools so after it breaks...

  9. #9

    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    22
    Monde
    Prestaging
    If they just came out and said it is a licensing issue then that would be fair enough. All we have at the moment is "it no longer works, impossible to fix".

    It takes ages to load, it crashes often, most of the time when you click stuff it counts it as clicking something else, you get chat banned because the messages get posted to random channels, the list is endless and the old client has none of these issues.

    I would be more likely to buy gems to support the game if the funds would help with keeping the old client running alongside the unity client while it is made functional.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    753
    Monde
    Prestaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Katty View Post
    If they just came out and said it is a licensing issue then that would be fair enough. All we have at the moment is "it no longer works, impossible to fix".
    It might be something they cant talk or even hint about due contractual, PR or legal issues. Like if its too expensive its business related or if its Samsung/Harman licensing related (limitations, requirements, etc.) its NDA stuff. There is also Ubisoft in the mix. No one wants to risk anything so they just say it's impossible.

    After all these months with all kinds of issues Im wondering why isn't BB doing a temporary or permanent Windows/Mac builds with Unity which would solve most of the threading/network/memory related issues. It might be just they don't know Unity at all and just use limited build pipeline/set of things that were shown/made to them by the hired company that already abandoned the ship with a success story.

Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Ubisoft uses cookies to ensure that you get the best experience on our websites. By continuing to use this site you agree to accept these cookies. More info on our privacy.